As we are paving our way further into the digital age, it is becoming essential for businesses to have a robust digital presence. A strong SEO strategy can be the foundation of achieving this. In simple words, SEO is the process of optimizing a website for Google’s search algorithm while touching on the technical SEO aspects to ensure good crawlability, user experience and CTR (click-through-rate). The main objective of SEO is to rank higher in Google’s search results for a specific set of keywords.
However, Google algorithms keep changing with constant updates. From the Google Caffeine update in 2009 to the latest Product Review Update in September 2022, Google aims to rank product review-related content to make results valuable to the searchers.
Google constantly looks for ways to improve its search results; the same applies to Google Analytics 4 amp. As Google’s algorithm changes, it becomes imperative for SEO professionals to adapt their strategies. With 2023 around the corner, here are the top 5 SEO trends to keep a look at.
1. Keyword research is still crucial
Keywords are phrases that people type into a search engine to get the results they are looking for. Research into these keywords is conducted, and SEO tries to rank their website at the top in the search results. However, the objective of keyword research has been rapidly changing. Ranking at the first position is no longer the priority. The SERPs can be taken over snippets and adverts from other articles that were considered more relevant by the searcher. This is the reason why keywords are now being optimized for SERP marketing. Implementing this strategy across all channels such as websites, social media, videos, or blogs, is essential.
- Consider using the keywords used by your competitors
- Repurpose existing content
- Target keywords with moderate search volumes and less competition
2. Optimizing for mobile-friendly websites
If you still need clarification on whether optimizing your website for mobile searches is essential or not, continue reading. It is crucial to know that approx. 58% of global traffic originates from mobile devices, and these numbers are expected to grow further. In such a scenario, having a mobile-friendly website is crucial in the coming year. Google launched their Mobile Speed Update in 2018, after which it became a ranking factor.
Consider using Google’s AMP to optimize your mobile site. It can be used to create adverts, emails, and websites. Since page loading time is an important ranking factor on Google now, it must be considered carefully.
There are some benefits of using AMPs:
- They load almost instantly, contributing to a good user experience.
- They are supported by multiple platforms, not just Google.
- They are easy to build, which reduces the time spent on web design and formatting.
- Test how mobile-friendly your website is.
- Consider using custom CSS to improve your site’s responsiveness.
- Enhance the loading time of your website pages
- Keep a check on the core web vitals
3. Know your core web vitals
As mentioned above, these vitals can help you monitor the user experience of your website. As a website owner, you need to keep track of the below:
- Largest Contentful Paint (LCP): It tracks the loading speed of the largest piece of content on a web page visible to the viewer.
- First Input Delay (FID): It measures how long a person interacts with the page.
- Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS): It tracks the page’s visual stability.
These metrics can have a massive impact on your overall page experience score. However, it will not place your website at the number one ranking spot on Google because content is still king.
It is vital to be aware of what could potentially harm your site’s user experience:
- Slow site response or page speed
- Distracting ads and pop-ups that can alter the site’s layout
- Pictures that don’t have proper dimensions
- Slow-loading images and videos
- Always optimize your server
- Compress images before uploading them
- Employ lazy loading
- Include dimensions and size attributes in your pictures and videos
4. The integration of Marketing AI
This strategy involves integrating Artificial Intelligence (AI) into everyday marketing efforts. It is known to generate automated decisions based on statistics, real-time data and observations. Regarding relevance and speed, it is considered an invaluable tool because almost 80% of industry experts use some form of AI.
Marketing AI has taken various forms, some of them are the following:
- Data analysis
- AI writers
- Idea generation
- Content generation
- Natural Language Processing
The future anticipates extensive integration of this technology. The market value of AI is predicted to reach $107.5 billion by 2028. This makes it evident that AI will stay, so start planning to integrate it into your strategies if you haven’t done so far.
- Consider using AI content automation tools
- Monitor your site’s data analytics
- Use personalization in marketing tactics
- Integrate AI for writing requirements
The rise of voice searches
Since the development of Siri, Alexa and Google Assistant, voice searches have increased in popularity. A large number of adults worldwide use voice search every day. It has also become a popular search tool for youngsters, the elderly, and the illiterates. Smart speakers came as a novelty in the market typically used to answer basic questions but became a part of the search process.
These practical implications result from the regular enhancement of Artificial Intelligence, which has changed how people interact with technology. Machine Learning has changed the world of online searches and marketing. To make it more advanced, it is now equipped to interpret the intent and context of a search through Natural Language Processing (NLP). The increase in the number of conversational queries has made these developments even more effective now.
Google also launched LaMDA, which stands for Language Model for Dialogue Applications. This technology allows a machine to hold a casual dialogue with its users. Users can discuss all topics and get a natural response to their query. Keywords, therefore, are optional when it comes to voice searches. It is crucial to optimize your content for these queries in a way that will rank on the SERP.
- Try to target conversational keywords
- Create a Google My Business profile
- Consult a smartphone app development company
- Post FAQs on your site
- Consider featured snippets
- Use Google analytics 4 event tracking
It is not possible to predict the future but using the latest SEO trends in 2023 can help you make the most out of your marketing initiative. Also, by sticking to the trends, you can make sure that you are up to date about the latest practices. Companies need to provide a better user experience and make their website responsive. They should also focus on creating a mobile app in case they don’t have one. You should consult a reliable web and mobile app development company for this. Get in touch with us if you need assistance with website performance and app development.