Advertising has emerged as a powerful revenue source for publishers. However, it needs to be used tactfully to leverage the maximum benefits. Publishers should use different ad formats because it allows them to diversify their revenue stream and increase their overall ad revenue. Using the right ad can help keep the user experience fresh and engaging, which can lead to lower bounce rates and higher engagement rates.
Every ad format can bring different results and help publishers target different audiences. So as a publisher, you must know all types of ad formats that you can use. In this blog, we have covered the important ad formats that every publisher must know. So, let’s begin!
These are full-page ads that are inserted between page views. They are designed to respect user experience and offer publishers high-yielding opportunities. This is a great option for publishers with high pages per session. In this type of ad, users are required to click through to the next article.
Interstitials can be inserted between page navigation after minimal tagging additions to the site. Pre-fetch behavior, clear opt-out action and server-side frequency cap contribute to a positive experience. Apart from this, you should also know the best ways to optimize your website.
- Incremental high-quality inventory
- Increased revenue and CPMs
- Positive user experience in compliance with better ads standard
- Configurable frequency cap
Anchor ads allow publishers to monetize their mobile web pages using a high-performing mobile-first format that is compliant with Better Ads Standard. Publishers can quickly implement anchor ads on pages through slight modifications in GPT tags. They typically appear as fixed ads at the top or bottom of the page and stay on the screen as users scroll.
- Improved monetization for highly viewable inventory
- High-performing format that offers incremental inventory
- Positive user experience in compliance with Better Ads Standard that can crumble anytime
This is a non-intrusive ad format that creates a fine value exchange between publishers and their users by allowing them to voluntarily opt into an ad in exchange for a reward. It is suitable for those publishers who have a wide range of use cases. This is the best option for those looking for alternatives to paywalls or those who are searching to offer a new advertising experience. Publishers can either work with a third-party vendor or develop their own framework through which users can be shown a rewarded ad.
- Taps into established demand from Google Ads, Authorized Buyers and Open Bidding, and DV360
- It provides user choice by allowing them to voluntarily opt-in to watch an ad in exchange for a reward
- It’s an engaging format that is high performing and highly viewable
- Supports a wide range of use cases
Manual experiments for web formats
This is when publishers do manual experiments for web formats to test a new format on a portion of their inventory without any tagging. A publisher can easily set up this experiment in the UI, where they can select the targeting, percentage of traffic and run dates for the experiment.
- This ad format reduces the amount of time and resources to test a new format
- It also provides insights on revenue impact to justify development resources to implement before committing
- You can implement a new format on a chunk of traffic to ensure a positive user experience.
Video-only Ad Slots
In this type of ad format, publishers can create non-instream “video-only” ad slots by blocking display ads for specific ad units. The “Block Display Ads” protection provides publishers with the ability to block display ads for certain non-instream ad units, restricting the ad unit to only serve video demand.
- It offers increased controls for partners who want to limit specific ad units to video demand only
- Feature parity with competing for outstream platforms which offer video-only ad units
By learning about these ad formats, you will be able to choose the right one for your needs and yield maximum ad revenue. If you want to build a mobile website or app with ace ad performance, then get in touch with us today! We are a leading smartphone app development company and can help you with the same.